Sydney Morning Herald
By Bridget Bowman
October 23, 2015
Washington: A campaign to bar Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump from hosting Saturday Night Live next month is gathering pace, with the launch of a new website and online campaign.
The website launch on Thursday (racismisntfunny.com) comes one day after a Democrat politician, Luis V. Gutierrez, stood on the House floor next to a black poster with bold white leaders that read: #RacismIsntFunny.
Gutierrez denounced NBC's decision to bring Trump to SNL, just a few months after the network terminated its business with Trump following comments he made suggesting an abundance of Mexican immigrants were criminals and rapists.
Gutierrez, the son of Puerto Rican immigrants, said other Latinos, not just Mexicans, were offended by Trump's remarks.
"Look, Americans aren't very good at telling us apart," Gutierrez said. "So when we are under attack by a tycoon running for the Republican presidential nomination, we can't tell us apart either. We are all family"
Gutierrez called on NBC to consider if they would have asked Trump to host the sketch show if he had made similar remarks about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender community or women. And he called attention to a lack of diversity on the SNL cast.
"What if all of the Latino cast members all walked off the job?" the Illinois Democrat asked. "Oh wait, you don't have any Latino cast members."
The new website highlights Gutierrez's floor speech and a letter he sent to the presidents of NBC and Comcast, as well as a petition to cancel Trump's hosting gig.
A notice on the site points out that the groups behind the campaign, such as America's Voice, MoveOn.org and the United Farm Workers of America, are "concerned with Saturday Night Live's role in mainstreaming anti-immigrant and anti-Latino rhetoric."
So far the online petition urging SNL to "Dump Trump" has garnered more than 225,000 signatures.
For more information, go to: www.beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com