About Me

My photo
Beverly Hills, California, United States
Eli Kantor is a labor, employment and immigration law attorney. He has been practicing labor, employment and immigration law for more than 36 years. He has been featured in articles about labor, employment and immigration law in the L.A. Times, Business Week.com and Daily Variety. He is a regular columnist for the Daily Journal. Telephone (310)274-8216; eli@elikantorlaw.com. For more information, visit beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com and and beverlyhillsemploymentlaw.com


Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Conway: New immigration order will take effect March 16

The Hill
By Rebecca Savransky
March 6, 2017

President Trump's aide Kellyanne Conway on Monday said the new immigration executive order will take effect March 16 and will no longer include Iraq.

"This is a very important week in this White House where the president is going to continue to act on, along with the Congress, major pieces of his legislative and executive agenda," Conway said Monday morning on Fox News's "Fox & Friends."

"That includes a new executive order today ... and what's different about it, it has an effective date of March 16, and there are the legal permanent residents were always excluded from it but that's made much more clear now," she continued.

"If you have travel docs, if you actually have a visa, if you're a legal permanent resident, you are not covered under this particular executive action."

Conway added that Iraq is no longer included in the travel ban, based on "their enhanced screening and reporting measures."

"I think people will see six or seven major points about this executive order that do clarify who is covered," she said.

"Also Syrian refugees are treated the way all refugees are."

The president's original travel ban, issued in January, put a 90-day ban on nationals from seven predominately Muslim counties from entering the U.S.

The order also called for a 120-day ban on admitting refugees and an indefinite suspension on resettling Syrian refugees.

The order spurred controversy, resulting in protests across the country and backlash from some lawmakers.

The order was later blocked by a federal judge in Seattle. A panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit ruled last month that a nationwide restraining order on the travel ban would stay in place.

Trump previously claimed that the travel ban had to be signed immediately because even a week’s notice would have allowed people to “pour in before the toughness goes on."

The president met Saturday evening at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida with a number of administration officials, including Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly and Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

For more information, go to:  www.beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com

No comments: