New York Times
By Caroline Crosson Gilpin
January 27, 2017
Article: Trump Blocks Syrian Refugees and Orders Mexican Border Wall to Be Built
Watch this short video of President Trump discussing a recent executive order calling for the construction of a border wall at the border between the United States and Mexico.
What is your reaction to this video? What do you think about Mr. Trump’s announcement about his immigration policy? Why?
Questions for Comprehension and Analysis
1. What two executive orders did President Trump sign on Wednesday? How does Mr. Trump plan to crack down on immigrants who are in the United States illegally? What third executive order is planned that will clamp down on legal immigration in the United States?
2. How does Mr. Trump’s stance on immigration differ from former President Barack Obama’s? Do you agree with Mr. Trump that unauthorized immigrants are criminals who must be found and forcibly removed from the United States? Why or why not?
3. Why did Joanne Lin, senior counsel at the American Civil Liberties Union, say, “After today’s announcement, the fear quotient is going to go up exponentially?”
4. Explain what Lynn Tramonte, the deputy director of America’s Voice Education Fund, meant when she said Mr. Trump was “wasting no time taking a wrecking ball to the Statue of Liberty.”
5. How are officials in countries around the world responding to Mr. Trump’s actions? How are conservative organizations in the U.S. responding? What do some Republican lawmakers think, according to the article?
6. How much would a border wall cost, including the construction and the hiring of Border Patrol agents and immigration officers?
7. What are some of the concerns of immigration advocates? Would digital fingerprinting shared by local law enforcement departments to find and deport immigrants who commit crimes be effective? Why or why not?
What do you think about the quote from Representative Nancy Pelosi, Democrat from California, who said,
“With today’s sweeping and constitutionally suspect executive actions, the president is turning his back on both our history and our values as a proud nation of immigrants. Wasting billions of taxpayer dollars on a border wall Mexico will never pay for, and punishing cities that do not want their local police forces forced to serve as President Trump’s deportation dragnet, does nothing to fix our immigration system or keep Americans safe.”
For more information, go to: www.beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com