By Kelsey Sutton
August 1, 2016
Donald Trump suggested that his campaign may take away press credentials from The New York Times, his latest attack on the media over the course of his presidential campaign.
At a campaign event in Columbus, Ohio, Monday, the Republican presidential nominee called the Times’ coverage of him “very dishonest” and suggested adopting the same ban on the newspaper as he has on The Washington Post. Trump revoked the Post’s press credentials in June after the newspaper published an article critical of Trump’s statements about a mass shooting in Orlando, Florida.
“It’s gotten a little better,” he said about the Post's coverage. “I should do it with the Times.”
Over the course of the election, Trump’s campaign has banned nearly two dozen news organizations from campaign events, including POLITICO, BuzzFeed, The Huffington Post, Univision and The Des Moines Register. The bans, which have been criticized on First Amendment grounds, have been enforced unevenly. Trump has told CNN that, if elected president, he would not interfere with the White House press credentialing process.
At a campaign event last week, a Post reporter was frisked by police and barred from a campaign event held by Trump’s running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence. Pence apologized for the incident and said he would work to change the Trump campaign’s habit of banning news organizations from events.
The Post remains banned from attending campaign events, as is POLITICO.
For more information, go to: www.beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com