Wall Street Journal
By Beth Reinhard
January 4, 2016
Donald Trump, who has dominated the Republican primary contest for months without spending a cent on television ads, released his first spot Monday and said he would lavish at least $2 million per week on TV in the early-voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire.
The ad is vintage Trump, tapping into the electorate’s mounting fears about national security and highlighting his campaign’s most incendiary — and implausible – claims. It shows images of the suspects in the San Bernardino, Calif., terrorist attacks, Islamic State militants and immigrants running across the southern border of the U.S.
“That’s why he’s calling for a temporary shutdown of Muslims entering the United States, until we can figure out what’s going on,” says the narrator. “He’ll quickly cut off the head of ISIS and take their oil. And he’ll stop illegal immigration by building a wall on our southern border that Mexico will pay for.”
So far, the billionaire businessman has spent only about $200,000 on radio ads, claiming he is “$35 million under budget.” That’s roughly what the super PAC backing former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush has spent on advertising, as he remained mired in single digits in the polls and Mr. Trump shot to the top of most surveys. The lopsided results have upended conventional wisdom about presidential campaigns, as Mr. Trump garnered reams of free publicity by drawing huge crowds to his rallies, flinging harsh insults at his rivals and making inflammatory statements about immigrants and Muslims.
“I am very proud of this ad, I don’t know if I need it, but I don’t want to take any chances,” Mr. Trump says in a press release.
Mr. Trump repeatedly claims to be bankrolling his own campaign, though Federal Election Commission reports show he collected $4 million in contributions and loaned himself $1.8 million as of the end of September. He has not yet disclosed his donations and expenses for the past three months.
Mr. Trump said he also plans to air new radio ads this week featuring Kathryn Gates-Skipper, the first female Marine to serve in combat, and Nancy Mace, the first female graduate of the Citadel
For more information, go to: www.beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com